Owen Parents, We need your help
We would love to hear from you about volunteering. Send us an email!
A. Year round Activities
- ECO schools - Work with staff & students to create a greener Owen
- Library - Shelve and organize books on your own schedule
- Yearbook - Photography, layout, marketing, orders
- Lost and Found - Organize items and arrange donation once per term
- Garden Maintenance - Weeding, Planting…on your schedule
B. Special Events
- Halloween Pumpkin Sale - October - Assist with unloading and sale of pumpkins
- Movie Nights – November / January - Help with popcorn, drinks or promotion of the event.
- Adult Evening Fundraiser - November - Planning, marketing, ticket sales or help at the event
- Dance-a-Thon – February - Help with marketing, at the dance or with processing the donations
- Spring Fling – June - Owen’s biggest fundraiser! Plan the event or help the day of the event with set-up, at a station or clean-up
- Cultural Days - Help plan a day to teach the Owen community about your culture. If you are interested let us know and we can help recruit other parents to help.
- Grade 6 Graduation – June - Planning and fundraising
- Staff Appreciation Lunch – June - Organize the event, contribute or serve
Police Reference Checks
Required for all parent volunteers
ALL parent volunteers require a Police Reference Check (Vulnerable Sector Screening).
If you plan to volunteer once or 100 times, you must have a valid screening on file.
How to do a NEW Police Reference Check:
- Pick up a form from the Owen school office.
- Sign the form in the presence of an office staff member
- Submit $20 cash or cheque payable to Owen P.S.
- Hand in your form and payment to the office by Friday September 23, 2016 for the batch school application.
If you miss the Sept. 23 deadline, you must get a certified cheque or money order payable to Toronto Police Services to submit with your completed application.
Once you have received your results there are two options for you:
- You can go directly to the PRC Office located at 17 Fairmeadow Avenue, Room 107 and present your results. (Fairmeadow is a 3 min drive or a 15 min walk from Owen.)
- Bring your results to Lisa in the school office and Owen will forward them to the PRC office. Once the original clearance is verified and entered into the database, it will be returned to the school office where you can pick it up.
How to Update your existing Police Reference Check:
If you have completed a Police Reference Check in the past couple of years, you must complete an online Offence Declaration
- Go to the Owen school office.
- The principal, vice principal or office staff member will open the site (this cannot be done at home).
- Each Volunteer must select the ‘OD’ button beside their name to access the form and follow the prompts that will assist with the completion of the form.
- Once the form has been submitted the Volunteer’s status will automatically convert to ACTIVE.